Acme Studios is a London-based charity, formed by artists in 1972, which supports the development of fine art practice by providing artists with affordable studio and living space. Acme provides 582 studio units, runs studio awards and residency schemes and manages an international residencies programme for visiting artists. Acme is recognised as the leading studio development organisation in England and has helped more than 7,000 artists with this fundamental means of support.
Acme continues to build on its success in creating a permanent and sustainable network of affordable, accessible, professionally-managed and high quality studios for artists in London.
In addition to the provision of studio and living space, Acme has taken a leading role in helping develop the affordable studio sector in England. In recent years it has been working nationally with other studio organisations and Arts Council England and in London has led on Capital Studios, an advocacy programme on behalf of affordable studio providers in the capital.
- 567 studios in 15 studio blocks across Greater London at inclusive rent levels of between £8.67 and £13.93 per square foot per year, with an average of £11.15 per square foot per year.
- Six studios at Breageside Net Loft, Porthleven in Cornwall.
- 12 work/live residencies at low rents for five years including a two-and-a-half year bursary with free work/live space and bursary of £5,000 a year at Acme's fully accessible Fire Station building in E14.
- Four work/live units at High House Artists' Studios in Thurrock.
- Two alternating commemorative annual studio awards for Acme tenants worth £10,000 each, the Rita Harris Studio Award and the Jessica Wilkes Award.
- A 12-month Stephen Cripps' Studio Award at High House Artists' Studios, Thurrock with a rent-free studio, £10,000 bursary and £10,000 towards production costs.
- Seven awards for art college graduates each providing a bursary and rent-free studio at Warton House, E15. Adrian Carruthers Studio Award (Slade School of Art), Chelsea BA Studio Award, Chelsea MA Studio Award, City & Guilds of London Art School Studio Award, Goldsmiths Studio Award, Helen Scott Lidgett Studio Award (Central St Martins) and the Jonathan Harvey Studio Award (various).
- A large purpose-built studio at Glassyard offered at half-rent for selected recent graduates from Central Saint Martins as well as monthly studio seminars and studio visits.
- Five units of living accommodation.
- An International Residencies Programme managing 22 artists' residencies for six cultural agencies from Australia, Canada, Germany, Sweden and Switzerland (two).
- An Associate Artist Residency programme for international artists open to artists working in all disciplines and resident in any country outside of England.
- A waiting list of artists seeking non-residential studios in London.
Acme Artists Studios Limited
A registered society under the Co-operative and Community Benefit Societies Act 2014
Reg. No: IP30662 R
Vat No 680 7763 03
44 Copperfield Road,
Bow, London, E3 4RR
T 020 8981 6811
F 020 8983 0567
Jonathan Harvey OBE
David Panton OBE
Sarah Kudirka Davenport
Richard Millward - Chair
David Panton OBE
Hannah Corbett OBE - Chief Executive
David Panton OBE - Director of Estates
Jennifer Baglow - Property Administrator
Stuart Bolin - Property Manager
Jemima Brown - Artists' Liaison Officer
Heather Deedman - Senior Artists' Liaison Manager
Charlie Coffey - Residency & Awards Officer
Dr Arantxa Echarte - Senior Research & Development Officer
Tinsel Edwards - Property Manager (maternity leave until April 2017)
Jack Fortescue - Head of Projects & Developments
Jane Hartley - Property Manager (maternity cover until April 2017)
Calum F Kerr - Artists’ Liaison Officer (Waiting List)
Richard Kingsnorth (Company Secretary) - Head of Finance and Resources
Julia Lancaster - Senior Residency & Awards Manager
John Lang - Senior Property Manager
Ben Lawley - Rent Accounts Manager
Lottie Leedham - Senior Artists’ Liaison Officer
Laura Martin - International Residencies Programme Officer
Eleanor Moreton - Accounts Administrator
Lea O'Loughlin - Senior International Residencies Programme Manager
Chris Scannell - Property Manager
Zoe Schoenherr - Rent Accounts Administrator
Trowers & Hamlins
3 Bunhill Row
Kingston Smith LLP
60 Goswell Road
London EC1M 7AD
124 Agar Grove
London NW1 9TY
Artist Amy Gee in her studio at Childers Street. Photo: Hugo Glendinning (2011)
'I think Acme is silently one of the most supportive arts bodies in operation.'
Rachel Whiteread, sculptor, Turner Prize Winner and former Acme studio holder
New-build studios at Leven Road, Poplar, E14. Photo: Mike Molloy (2009)
- Acme Studios
- 44 Copperfield Road
- E3 4RR
- T +44 (0)20 8981 6811
Between 1996 and 2012 Acme received £3.2m of capital funding from Arts Council England which supported the creation of six permanent affordable studios in London: Copperfield Road, Fire Station, Galleria, Harrow Road, Leven Road and Matchmakers Wharf. This resulted in 186 studios and 12 work/live units in four London boroughs.